Saturday, February 25, 2012

Book Review: Grace Williams Says it Loud by Emma Henderson

Title: Grace Williams Says it Loud
Author: Emma Henderson
Genre: Literary Fiction
Subject: Mental Disability
Publisher: Hachette Australia
Release date: July, 2010
Length: 325 pages
I got this book: Borrowed it from the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"The doctors said no more could be done and advised Grace's parents to put her away. On her first day at the Briar Mental Institute, Grace, aged eleven, meets Daniel. Debonair Daniel, an epileptic who can type with his feet, sees a different Grace: someone to share secrets and canoodle with, someone to fight for. A deeply affecting, spirit-soaring story of love against the odds."

Personal opinion:
First of all I have to say that I didn't finish this book.This was not because I didn't want to continue to read it but only because it is a very detailed and slow story and I couldn't renew the book at the library. This book was part of a temporary collection that travels through libraries across the country so the chance that I can borrow it again are slim. Anyway, as far as I read it, it was a really detailed read. Because it is told from Grace's point of view it is a hard read, but it does make it more interesting. What do we actually know about people that can't express themselves? How much do they pick up? That was a theme within the book. Another is how those people were treated in those institutions back in those days. And then there is the relationship between her and Daniel which is very endearing to read about. This is actually quite a good book and I really think it is a shame that I couldn't finish it.

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: Chinoiseries
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

2 comments:

  1. I read this, but I think my expectations were very high due to the many nominations for literary prices it had at the time. I just couldn't love it. Something kept me from caring deeply about the story, while it was the kind of story I felt I *should* care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's a shame you didn't get time to finish it. From what you have posted, it sounds very interesting.

    ReplyDelete