Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Title: The Night Circus
Author: Erin Morgenstern
Genre: Magical Realism, Fantasy
Subject: Magic, Romance
Publisher: Doubleday
Release date: September, 2011
Length: 387 pages
I got this book: borrowed it from the library

Summary:
From Goodreads:
"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des RĂªves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway—a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love—a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus per­formers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead."

Personal opinion:
It is hard to say much about this book without giving crucial points away. But I can say this: this is truly a magical and unique story. I loved the way it was told even though it switched between viewpoints. There are even chapters that you, as reader, visit the circus yourself, which is a nice addition. I love the development of the story and the characters, but somewhere in the middle of the book the book becomes kind of slow. It will pick up again in the last 100 pages or so and from that point it was hard to put the book down. In my opinion this book deserves the current hype that is around it and it is the best book I have read in a while. Besides a story about a circus without a single clown in it, is always a plus.


Loved it!

Purchase links: Amazon
Challenges: What's in a name challenge, wishlist challenge
Other reviews: None yet.
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

4 comments:

  1. I just love that cover. I think the US cover is nice and all, but that one really capture the book to me. So good! I can't wait to find time for a re-read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this book at the moment and I have to agree with you about it slowing down. I think it's because of the non-linear nature of the story as the reader is bounced at different points in the timeline of the story.

    I'm sure that it'll be a rewarding read by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this for Christmas, now that the hype has died down I think I'll give it a go. I hope I enjoy it as much as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is really a lovely book :) Glad we agree on that! Most books are just terribly hyped up, but this one deserves it all!

    ReplyDelete