Saturday, March 19, 2011

Book review: Daddy's Little Girl by Julia Latchem-Smith

Title: Daddy's Little Girl
Author: Julia Latchem-Smith
Genre: Non-fiction
Subject: Sexual abuse
Publisher: Headline review
Release date: March, 2007
Length: 256 pages
I got this book: From the library in Dutch

Summary:
Julia's mother is obsessed with cleaning. Julia and her brother aren't allowed to touch anything in the house. Her dad played games with her and her brother Paul and they did the normal daddy-daughter things that made the restrictions of her mother more bearable. But when Julia turned seven, her dad starts to touch her and when she finally dares to talk, she isn't believed. The abuse continues until Julia was thirteen. When Julia eventually gets a family of her own, she struggles to function in life because of her traumatic past

Personal opinion:
I never like stories like this but I do think it is important that people read these stories. That is why I pick up these kind of books, because I hope that making people more aware will make a difference somehow. I read this book in two days, which is quick for me. What I found good about this story that next to the abuse, it also focusses on the failing social services and how everything affected Julia in her late teens/early twenties. I think that by doing this, it can bring a greater understanding for the whole picture. While the parts about the abuse are described, it isn't done in a way that made it unbearable to continue reading, which I found a plus. The book focusses more on what everything did with Julia mentally and how she eventually managed to live her life. I would recommend reading this book, not because it is such an enjoyable read, but because it will make you more aware with being overly shocking. I will not rate this book with my usual rating system because using my cute emoticons just isn't fitting, but I will give it 4 stars.

Purchase links: Amazon
Other reviews: None yet
If you have reviewed this book and want your link here, please leave a comment with the link, and I will add it :)

3 comments:

  1. this is very sad an i would never read a book like this because they make me cry but i would read this book every day if i could but if i was u i would go an read this book right bout now thax Love shyanne jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. honestly this book looks very good , im going through this at this moment , and hopefully i get this book very soon . and it is a sad thing , but it happends . its true life stories , and people need to open their eyes and relieze that life isnt a fairy tale .

    ReplyDelete
  3. it breaks my heart that a father could take advantage of his little girl like that

    ReplyDelete